Friday, November 4, 2011

Chris graduated today!

Hooray! Chris graduated from Armor Basic Officer Leaders Course (ABOLC). He did well enough to be on the Commandant's List (top 20% of his class) and got a shiny coin as an award. He also put his order in for his Stetson. Perhaps you are not aware that in the Army the formal headgear is a beret. I think it's hard for anyone these days to pull off a beret without looking weird, but I think it's especially hard for soldiers to do it because you'd think they'd be the most likely group to beat up anyone else for wearing a beret. Anyway, Chris is in Armor which is descended from the Calvary so he gets to wear a black Stetson which is waaaaaaay cooler than a beret.

They had a tank and a stryker that we could climb around in so we got some pictures. First of all, I thought the two fountains out front were going to be the highlight of the girl's day; however, I was mistaken.


This was Sophie's favorite part. The tank. She cried when we left it. Later at home she told me she missed her tank.


Here's a good picture of Jojo picking her nose by the Calvary statue.



I wasn't going to include this funky family photo, but we don't have a lot of them. So here are the Lewises in front of the Angel of Death.



As you can see, it's really called the Angel of Death.




Here is Soapy inside a Stryker, which is the vehicle that Chris will be in. Soapy is sitting right where Chris will be sitting. The screen above her is a thermal imager. It's really cool because the picture is made from heat that objects give off. It was really clear; I could see the fountains gushing water (note: I don't like the word "gushing.") It's really cool.


The rest of these pictures are from the stryker



We are super proud of Chris today!

6 comments:

Greg Lewis said...

Congrats! (Love the nose-picking picture.....) Glad you ALL made it through training! Love - Dad

Katie Lewis said...

1. Soapy and Lala look SO similar. It's like they're cousins or something.

2. I bet you $10 that family picture ends up on your Christmas cards this year.

3. Hooray for Chris!

P.S. When I typed "Chris" just now I accidentally typed "Christ" and it reminded me of the sign on the door when you guys taught primary. Haha.

Kathy Haynie said...

So proud of the whole family. Yay Chris! Atta boy.

Bryan Lewis said...

I love that the danger sign says "do not walk under the gun," but it says nothing about looking INTO the gun. Haha.

Patricia said...

Way to go, Chris!! You made it through this stage--you too, Anna.
You all look great!

Lisa Lou said...

Cool pictures. Man, you are all so cool. And I actually do kind of like the beret. It looks Euro. And not sissy, like I thought it would. Congrats to all of you! (on making it through and not being sissies.)