Thursday, November 3, 2011

Wasted Day

So much for my self discipline. What a wasted day. I spent the entire morning reading a book and waving away little girls like gnats. Sometimes kids are a little like gnats because they won't go away unless you deal with them or outrun them, and if you leave something out (like raw meat) they get into it. Luckily they can't fly. That would be terrifying. Also, it would be terrifying if they crawled in your ear. We had a fun afternoon though, so hopefully they won't remember this morning and use it as an excuse for later becoming drug addicts or serial killers or something.

Speaking of little girls, I have often wistfully thought how terrific it would be to be able to send Soapy and Jojo to an all girls school when they got older. I figured it would be nice for them to have an environment where answering the teacher's questions wasn't only a "boy thing," and where science and math would be something that they could encounter with fewer gender related preconceptions. I mean, I wanted them to never think they weren't good at math because they were girls. I thought an all girl school would help with that. Becky R. just sent me a link to this Slate article, and it was pretty persuasive. I don't think I want my girls in an all girls school anymore...which is convenient because they are PRICEY.Link

Also, I have to say I was delighted with all of your responses. I don't know if I will use them, but it totally helped to have other ideas--I'll start writing that part this week so I'll let you know how it all plays out.

3 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

I'm super happy about your post. Mostly because today was kind of on the lame side around here and then Bryan fell asleep on the couch at 9pm and neither my sweet, gentle persuading nor a loud call from his friend/study buddy could get him to stay away for more than five seconds. So it's been a lonely and boring night around here. I won't admit how many times I came clicking back over to your blog thinking, "Ugh. What a quitter. Anna isn't even going to write today." And then--look!--you did write today! So I'm happy. Even though I just had to eat my delicious homemade chocolate chip cookies all by myself. Because Bryan is STILL asleep on the couch.

Also, more on the topic of your post (okay, okay, I'm REALLY bored so just pretend I'm not writing the longest comment ever), I always find it refreshing when you don't talk about your girls like floofy little fairy beings. It makes me feel better and less alone in my own mother-of-a-little-girl standards and beliefs.

Oh, and for some reason it wouldn't let me read that link. Which is sad. Because you know how bored I am.

Love your favorite sister-in-law who's married to the bum upstairs on the couch,

Katie

Kathy Haynie said...

Was it a good book?

By the way, coed education isn't perfect, but girls have come a long way, baby, since the days when they were routinely ignored/dumbed down in class. Most of the time girls score higher than boys in most subjects.

Becky said...

I have a gnat too. It is such a good thing my gnat doesn't fly either..that would be scary!

Love your sense of humor!