Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Daily blogging is cramping my style

So, it turns out that as a thirty year old I am more disciplined that at any other time of my life. This makes me feel really awesome about myself, and really excited for the person I will become as I get older. Also it makes me pity anyone younger than me. (You little, undisciplined, lazy slobs. Don't cry, someday you will be like me.)

I just got a little embarrassed because, okay, if you know me you know there are a lot of areas that I am not disciplined in; however, I have come a long way. Compared to what I was, I am a superhero now.

The goals I am most proud of are exercising every day, and writing my book for an hour every night. Come on, that's impressive, right? Who has that kind of discipline? Me, that's who.

So here's my problem, daily blogging is cramping my style. I exercise with the girls in the morning, during their naps I do my University of Kleenex (Phoenix), and after they go down for bed at night I write my great American high school love story. And then I go to bed. I don't know where to fit in this blogging junk.

So I thought I'd use this for a little bit of research. I'm having a little trouble not finding corny solutions to one of my characters problems. Feel free to answer the question below and if you make fun of my plot I will kill you.

Let's say you are a devastatingly good looking high school boy and perhaps you have a sort of charismatic personality that makes everyone like you. You just moved to a new high school. The problem is, if you make friends it is likely that a lot of people will die. So, you know you have to ostracize yourself from all these people who want to be your friends. How would you make a whole high school hate you?

12 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Oh, man, that IS a problem. I am going to forward your blog link to a good friend of mine. He is also a YA novel writer, AND he teaches creative fiction writing at my high school AND he is hosting the schools NaNoWriMo group this month.

I doubt that he'll have an answer. Like you and me, he's over 30. But I'll bet some of his students might give you some suggestions. Stay tuned.

Lisa Lou said...

Stink.
There was a guy in my single's ward that everyone thought was super HOTT (yup, that hot.) and he worked out all the time, but he stunk. Like, his clothes and body odor were foul. I didn't get it. Still, girls thought he was HOTT so maybe that's not the best plan.

Bryan Lewis said...

Let's see, he'd have to do something that would make EVERYONE hate him, right? So if he was a suck-up or something, most of the students wouldn't like him, but the other brown-nosers might think he was a role model.

He might just have to do something drastic, like kill one person to save the other people's lives. But that's pretty dark.

Maybe he should just be as loud and obnoxious as possible. But not in a funny way. Is that possible?

And I think the plot it really cool.

Becky said...

Yikes! That's hard!

Maybe you'd have to have one sacrificial person? pPick the most popular, most good looking, most charismatic, girl who seems to have the MOST potential for the future...make friends with her and as a result she dies and then BAM! Everyone hates you.

LAME! I am so NOT a writer AND NOT creative.

alison said...

i asked the entire room i am in and the common consensus was to either pee/poo yourself and wipe it on people or to punch lots of people in the face...

Katie Lewis said...

On his first day at the new school our hero sees a super lame kid who everybody hates and makes fun of. And the main point of their mockery is that the lame kid has fingernails that are permanently black.

The other kids tease the lame kid, taunting him about his "rotten" nails. Everyone is especially careful not to touch anything the rotten kid touches. The lame kid has had black fingernails since birth as a result of a minor genetic defect. In truth, they pose no threat, but he's been teased about them his entire life and, as a result, has become the school punching bag by the time he reaches high school.

Seeing this on this on his first day, our hero makes a difficult decision. On his way home from school, he stops by the grocery store and buys a stock of black nail polish, Sharpie markers, and sand paper.

When he gets home he gives his nails the thorough rotten treatment. First he colors each nail black with a Sharpie marker, then paints on a coat of the nail polish. Finally, he scrubs each nail carefully with the sand paper.

As he begins to rub the first of his nails with the sand paper, he shutters a little. It really does look like the rotten kid's nails.

The next morning in homeroom class the girl next to him notices his nails. "Disgusting," she mutters.

Kathy Haynie said...

I just want to point out that the brilliant black-fingernail-idea came from MY child. Ahem.

Lisa Lou said...

However, he'd probably be looked up as a hero by the super lame kid. And probably because he's so charismatic, nasty black fingernails will become the new cool thing!

Patricia said...

Greg has an idea or two.
1. His goal in life is to grow up and work for either the IRS or the DMV. Those are two things everyone hates.
2. He will tell everyone, "The Mothership, with Zontar at the helm will arrive from Venus on 12-12-12."
3. He can claim to have invented a firewall that will block Facebook from any computer.

The End or Amen

Katie said...

He should do something awful in front of the whole school. Like make fun of or beat up a handicap person. This makes me uncomfortable just mentioning it. I kind of hate myself for even thinking of it.

Kathy Haynie said...

It's kind of a Beauty and the Beast problem, right? How do you make Prince Charming into a Beast? (I don't know, but I thought the comparison might bring up some brilliant idea for you...)

So is he a vampire or something? I mean, that a lot of people will die if they are close to him?

Stephanie said...

Those comments are hilarious!
I think he should pee on the schools sign (doesn't every school has a sign in front telling who they are?) in front of a lot of students while wearing the rival schools memorabilia stuff. You know. Shirt. Hat. Lettermans jacket.
I can't imagine talking to a guy that did that if he was wearing bronco stuff. I grew up in buckaroo territory! ;)