Thursday, November 8, 2012

So Excited! And Science!

Science for Thanksgiving!

So, on a regular basis Sophie or Jojo will ask how long it is until her birthday. Unfortunately for them, their birthdays are in July and April so it's a LONG time away. To try and make them not feel sad, I explain how far away their birthday's are in terms of other exciting things happening. For example, I'll say, "Well, before your birthday is Valentine's Day, and Daddy's birthday, and Christmas, and... The happy result of this is by the time I am finished Sophie, Jojo and I are super excited to be alive because we have so many exciting things to look forward to.

I bring this up because pretty excited for this weekend. Tomorrow we are going to Liepzig, and some places round about there. Saturday we are going to a birthday party. Sunday is the first Sunday we will be going to church as a family since September and it's also Martinstag, and Monday is Laternefest. For Laternefest Sophie made two lanterns in school and she and Jojo and the rest of the towns kids are going to march around town holding these  little lanterns on Monday night singing and eating bratwurst, onion cakes, and drinking non alcoholic Gluhwein. Oh Germany. You are too charming. I am going to photograph the heck out of you.

So that's cool, but wait Thanksgiving is just around the corner. What better way to celebrate our nations first Thanksgiving than by going to  CERN to see the Large Hadron Collider? There's no better way. I am super excited. I keep telling people that we are going to see it and they ask me what it does and...I start mumbling about protons and god particles and then I fall silent because I realize I know very little about anything at all. I plan on researching enough about it that I can ask our tour guide one not-so-ridiculous question. Also, I'm not going to lie, I have definitely had some daydreams about taking pictures of my girls at Cern and then having them eventually work there and having those early childhood photos hanging on the walls of their offices next two their three or four degrees. Confession: I would love it if my girls were scientists. Or engineers. That's why I got so excited when I discovered they liked legos. We're on our way

 Oh, and CERN is right by Geneva so we thought we'd go there too. And we're going through the Black Forest on our way down (I'll let you know if it's really black). Man, I'm SOOOO excited.  Oh and for Christmas we're going to Paris! Squeak! I'm so excited to be living my life right now. Whoop Whoop!



7 comments:

David x- said...

Man, Laternefest was the bomb. And the Large Hadron Collider?!! That is SUPER duper cool. I had no idea it was open to the public.

Kathy Haynie said...

Whoa. Cool itinerary.

Becky said...

Sounds like such fun! I love adventures! Can't wait to hear about the Black Forrest!

I think it's awesome that you already know what you want your daughters to be when they grow up.

What is with those last links?

I really feel like you are a no-nonsense woman...and yet you are hilarious. So I feel like you have a great mix of no-nonsense nonsense. (that is supposed to be a compliment...I hope it was. ;-)

Nathan said...

I'm really really really really happy you linked Dwayne Michael Carter, Jr. in your links. Good on ya.

Katie Lewis said...

I really hope you meant to link to that black guy in both of your last links. Hahahaha.

Lisa Lou said...

LEIPZIG!?!?!??!?!?! IN THE FALL?!?!??! Man, you are going to fall over from sheer amazement with how beautiful that city is. I think I was there for 6 months? maybe? before I got transfered up north. Loved it. It's so so beautiful. And the German is crazy! Also, I've been reading about Tim Berners-Lee and he was at CERN, so that's cool that you are going there! I loved that David got super excited about that!
Man, Paris. Sigh. You will LOVE it. I miss Europe SO SO much and LOVE reading about your adventures.

Bryan Lewis said...

I'm not going to lie, I'm super jealous, mostly about CERN. Take lots of pictures!