Thursday, November 20, 2014

Bragalog: Too many quilts

Right before my friend Becky got married, she told me I should start working on a baby quilt for her. I am always late finishing baby quilts and she wanted me to have plenty of time*. Well, I finally finished and mailed it to her about three months after her little girl was born. But let's not focus on my tardiness, let's focus on my awesomeness. I saw this quilt online and wanted to do something similar, or basically just like it.

Here are a gazillion pictures I took because everyone loves looking at quilt pictures. I apologize in advance if you fall into a pit of despair just thinking about how you will never live up to my amazingness. (Also ignore the binding. Bindings are hard for me.) (Also, uneven sewing lines are part of it's charm. Charm, I say!)




So you can tell better in the close up pictures that the quilt is actually pieced. For the piecing I just basically cut up all the fabric and sewed it back together again. It was a little time consuming. I did this because a) I wanted it to be a pieced quilt, but mostly because b) I thought it might be more authentic to do so to better represent the complexity of space. I admit the authenticity added by the subtle lines in the quilt is slightly compromised by several of the planets being represented with not-so-subtle polka-dots, but sometimes science has to take a backseat to cuteness. Am I right or am I right?




That's Pluto of course.




*Just thought I'd better clear up that Becky wasn't pregnant at the time she asked me. Just in case you thought she was. She's just a good planner.

5 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

This IS an awesome quilt, Anna. Hand quilted!!! Go you.

Patricia said...

This is such a cute quilt. Look at that sun, with rays, of course. And I love Earth, with land and water. I was so lucky to see it in person. Such an awesome gift!

Bridget said...

Very cute!

Lisa Lou said...

Holy moly girl! I love it!

Jami Jensen said...

Are you kidding me!?! Stop being amazing. That quilt is fabulous!!