Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Too many books

Sometimes I read too many books. Like, one a day. As anyone knows who has suddenly become addicted to Harry Potter, reading too many books gives you the same feeling as when you go on a TV series binge. It's really fun, but in the back of your mind you know you should be actually doing something with your life. And when you're through your eyes kind of hurt and you feel a little sick.

I do this a lot. Too much. I actually took a breather today and thought about other people, who read in moderation and how much more meaningful their lives must be than mine. I don't read great books, or books to make me a better person. I don't even require good writing. I just like reading fiction. Science fiction, fantasy, western, mystery-- it doesn't matter (well actually, there pretty much has to be a love story). I read just for entertainment. Other people must get so much accomplished in their lives. But I'm not sure they are happier.

Anyway, my latest favorite series in the world is The Raven Boys series by Maggie Stiefvater. So so good. I downloaded the audiobook to Chris's Ipod and, to humor me, he started listening to it. Now he is hooked because it's pretty compelling. If you need a book recommendation, this is a good one. Also, if you have any, you should always feel free to give them to me, because lately a lot of my recommendations come from whatever the Goodreads algorithm decides to recommend for me and i am reading some weird stuff. Goodreads thinks I'm way more mystical than I am.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Angle of Repose. And then I'd like to discuss.

Bridget said...

I can't remember if we ever discussed Forever Young Adult (the website) together. You should check it out if not. It's book recommendations from people whose taste doesn't always align with mine, but at least it's a starting point.

Plus, they are as rabid about The Raven Boys as we are.