Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Music

When Chris deployed he left me with nine CDs, one for every month he was supposed to be gone. I don't like songs the first time I hear them, so the idea was for me to keep the monthly CD in the car and listen to that one CD for the whole month and then decide if I really did or did not like it.. It actually was a really great idea. First of all, because Chris was listening to that same music at the same time and it was sadly romantic. It was also good because it really does take me about a month tod ecide if like a band or not. During this experience I found a favorite band.

I had always liked certain songs but there was never a group that I just loved, and now I have one: Modest Mouse. So good. One Chance was my favorite song during the deployment and today my favorite is Blame it On the Tetons--which I think we can all agree is an intriguing title. I am posting links to them both below.

The past few days I have been listening to Johnny Cash in my car--my dad got me his CD so I remember my roots, he said. My grandparents song was Walk the Line. I don't really remember listening to Johnny Cash a lot but I certainly have most of the words memorized so my Dad must have played it a lot. He has a lot of good songs (I love his Christmas mix, actually-- that gravelly voice just does great things to Christmas Carols), but today my favorite is Folom Prison Blues. The little guitar solo is just so great. I listened to it about six times in a row driving home from the clinic.

Gracie has a fever today and we are almost out kid medicine, so I drove on base to pick some up. Interestingly enough, when I entered the clinic a soldier was posted there to ask all people entering some questions. He wanted to know if we'd been out of hte country int he last month and where we had been and if we had flu like symptoms. I asked him if this was about Ebola and he was like "No no no no, well yes. But mostly for all those other sicknesses out there like H1N1, the bird flu blah blah." So that was interesting. And unrelated to the rest of the post.

Also unrelatedly, I am at 6945 words for my NANOWRIPMO stuff. You should be impressed.  Here are the songs.

One Chance

Blame it on the Tetons


Folsom Prison Blues

No comments: