Saturday, November 2, 2013

Today

A few things happened today that I feel are worthy of note:

1. We had cream of broccoli soup for dinner. Because it is very green the girls call it "Monster Soup" and are not too excited to eat it. But tonight I hollowed out some brotchen into small bread bowls and they thought that was very cool and ate every drop. So basically I'm the coolest mom in the world. 

2. The head mistress of our kindergarten, Gerda,  had us over for a visit today. When she invited me, she told me she had had a dream that we should come over. I told her that if she had a dream about it we had better come! So we went over and did a little craft with the girls, had a German lunch,  then she made cookies with the older girls while I tried to rock Gracie to sleep. (Side note: Gracie has been kind of sick for a while. We have a doctor's appointment on Monday--I'll keep you posted on how she's doing.) It was really fun. Mostly I think she is just a little horrified by the idea of deployment and wants to help us out. I think this is impressive because it's kind of a big deal to me to invite someone over I don't know very well, and a HUGE deal to invite someone over who doesn't speak my native language. I think she is a pretty quality individual. If I ever think I have a tick on my neck, I may even ask her to investigate.

3. So a few weeks ago the girls and I made the huge and happy switch from reading picture books before bed, to reading Little House on the Prairie. This has seriously changed our lives for the better. Thanks to Bridget for writing about doing it first with her girls so I would think to do it.

I thought it would be too old for them, but they are completely entranced by it. I think they got hooked with the idea of a family of three little girls moving away from their home. We move a lot and we have three little girls so... they saw the connection. Today they lay in their bunk beds for almost an hour while I read to them. FYI I do not usually read to them for an hour. Fifteen minutes MAX is good enough for me, but today I got caught up in the story. Man, that is a compelling book. Everyone had fever n' ague and I suddenly realized I didn't remember when Mary went blind and maybe this was it...and before I knew it almost an hour had gone by. It was refreshing to feel like I was spending quality time with my kids and educating them (you know, teaching them important words like "fiddle" and "wagon box") while at the same time having fun. Sometimes it is hard for me to have fun while spending time with my kids. I love my kids, and I love spending time with them, but sometimes fun is not the appropriate adjective to use. I have long suspected/hoped that the older my kids get the more fun I will be able to have with them. So far this seems to be true.

4. Yesterday I finished reading The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford. I am looking for other book recommendations. Specifically, I'm looking for fiction with a happy ending, or, if it has to be a sad ending, I want it to not be sneaky about it, but to let me know right away. For example, this last book started at the ending and jumped back and forth in time so I knew there was going to be sadness right from the beginning that I could prepare myself for. Any genre will do--- there just can't be any sneaky sadness. And don't judge: I have a Master's in English, I can read what I want.

5. That's all. Happy Saturday.

8 comments:

Becky said...

Love this post! I can't believe you live in Germany! So awesome! And brave without Chris. You go military wife!

I have a book recommendation. The fault in our stars by John Green. It's sad and funny and you know it will end sad from the beginning but it's still so good. Maybe you've already read it. I think they are working on making it into a movie.

I hope Gracie is okay!

Katie Lewis said...

Little House on the Prairie is one of my favorite series ever. I re-read the whole series a couple years ago and it was definitely a highlight in my life. Also, my mom read them to me before bed when I was a kid, which was awesome.

As for book recommendations, have you ever read Angus, "Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging"? Bryan says those books are highly inappropriate, but I think he just doesn't understand because he's not a girl. It's about a funny (but in an awkward-painful kind of way) middle school girl with a crush on a boy. So, pretty much right up your alley I think.

Lisa and Trish--Don't read those books I just recommended. You'll probably think they're highly inappropriate too and think less of me.

Mom--You would like them, I think.

Mark (Lisa's husband)--For some reason I think you'd probably like them too.

Ok the end.

Katie Lewis said...

Oops. Quotations in the wrong place. The title is "Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging."

Kathy Haynie said...

Go Anna! I think I read the whole LHOTP series 2x with my kids during their growing up years. First with the older girls, and then as Katie has so wonderfully given me credit (see above) with her. Don't miss reading "Little House in the Big Woods" with them! It's the first book (before LHOTP). The most memorable book in the series, for me, was "The Long Winter." I mean, it goes on and on and ON, but man, what they went through. I could still tell you some of the details from it, but I don't want to be a spoiler. But it's kind of a long bedtime slog for little kiddos.

Our RS book club just finished reading "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs. I think you would get a huge kick out of the peculiar children. The plot is pretty YA, but it was a good read.

Oh, I love November. Love your posts. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Bridget said...

So did you get to the part where the whole family is sick and Laura has to take care of them all? My girls were spellbound during that part. I remember being amazed by that part when I was a kid. Happy reading!

Jaime said...

I have been wondering when would be a good time to start reading chapter books, especially Little House on the Prairie! I'm glad to know it's been a success for you - I may start with Tessa sooner instead of later! :)

Patricia said...

I loved reading the "Little House" books when I was a girl. They're my favorite books. I read them to the younger kids when we first moved to Berlin and I would catch the teenage Chris and Bryan listening, too. Katie, maybe I'll read your recommendation just because you said not to. Ha!
Anna, I read the "Anne of Green Gable" books when I was a young mom. I liked them because they made me smile. Although maybe you've already read those.

Lisa Lou said...

I've been re-reading Roald Dahl books and as gruesome as some of them are (in a kid friendly way) the ending are happy and cozy.